Monday, January 10, 2011

First Beer - Heineken Keg Can

Well, it's not exactly my first beer, but it is the first beer in what I hope to be a long series of posts detailing my opinions on certain beers. I am not a professional in this area in the slightest, so I intend this to be a kind of journey where I gain a sharper sense for quality beer. So first up is the ever-popular Heineken.

First the basic information on the beer from the Wikipedia article about Heineken. It is a pale lager with an alcohol content of 5%.

One of the first things that you'll notice about the beer is the smell. It's not so great. Kind of a bitter smell that normally would cause aversion, but I guess that advertising works really well. Looking in the can you notice that it's very clear and slightly yellow. It has the opacity of Sprite, seemingly. And the taste? It's weekly bitter with a pretty nasty aftertaste. It is almost as though you have to wash this beer down with water just to get the taste out of your mouth afterward.

To put it bluntly, I do not like this beer. I will drink it if it is served to me, but it is never something that I would choose if I was buying beer myself (I'm not going to look a gift beer in the mouth). It is tolerable, and that is a gracious assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment